Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Peace out 2013

While the new year is often a time to break out our most decorative party hats and make absolute fools of ourselves, it is also the time of year to reflect on all that the previous year has given us- whether it was good or bad. New Year's Eve, with the iconic countdown in Times Square, is a night of celebration and excitement. Whether you are physically in Times Square watching the ball drop or on a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, you are still involved in the hub-bub of NYE. And what better way of getting into the spirit of the departing year, then putting on a sparkly party dress and dancing the night away? (Well if you are on a deserted island I doubt you'd have a sparkly party dress so, in that case, I would resort to palm tree leaves as your clothing item of choice). No matter who you are, or where you live, there is always some excitement to be found in the celebration of the oncoming year (Congrats! You've lived another year!). This is why I have put together a little array of celebratory outfits, full of glitz and glamour (well as much glamour as my parent's allow me to wear) as well as a few sparkling gems here and there. So get your party hats on, and continue reading (Warning: there may be an overload of patterns).
What is cooler than finding a over-sized leather t-shirt for less than $20? Nothing! And since there is nothing cooler than NYE, the over-sized leather t-shirt is a must. Courtesy of Buffalo Exchange (where fashion dreams come true), this over-sized shirt or dress is a delight on the eyes. When paired with tall black pumps from Charlotte Russe (so tall I lost feeling in my toes for a moment) and an array of necklaces and rings (thrift shops galore), you cannot go wrong. But let's not forget the necessary B&W images to make the outfit ooze with glamour.
Now that we've covered the glamour side of NYE, let's take a trip down memory lane to The Carrie Diaries Inspired Look. As we all know Carrie is known for her extravagant pattern layering skills and what better way to test out this skills yourself than to do in for NYE? (That was rhetorical by the way). My lovely friend Sophia allowed me to test out my skill on her, as she modeled the many layered look that I put together. With a sparkly, poofy, tutu-like skirt, a patterned bustier (Forever 21), a floral blazer (Forever 21), nude heels, and a faux diamond necklace, her pattern-galore outfit was finally complete. Although it might be a little harsh on the eyes at first, I can promise you that is won't harm your corneas as much the fifth time you see it.
Now as great as the idea of fancy dresses and heels is, it isn't entirely realistic. This is especially the case  for those who don't really have a need to magically grow four inches and teeter around on stilts. And considering the majority of the female population is this way, I decided to make a  non-stilts outfit that still has a level of sparkle and pazaz.
To begin with lets just name the items in the outfit that you are about to see: high waisted light wash jeans from American Apparel, velvet turtleneck crop top from an unknown store on Melrose, an over-sized white cardigan (also considered a cape) from American Apparel, and floral Doc Martens. But let's not forget the shining jewel around my neck: floral necklace from Forever 21. Now if you are like me, and appreciate comfort in your fashion, then you will seriously appreciate this combination of clothes. Let's just say you could potentially sleep in it.
Now as I finish up this post and do my normal goodbyes I hope you all enjoyed this post and use it for inspiration during this time of celebration. With that, I hope you all have a magnificent New Year's Eve, and an amazing beginning to 2014. I will be unable to post until a week from today, so until then, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
xoxo, Paloma
P.S. Thank you for the 13k, it's a great way to end the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment