Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Welcome to The Netherlands

Hello everyone!
I was unable to post last week due to my final exams, but I am back to posting regularly for the duration of the summer (minus a few unpredicted days of travel). Since you last heard from me, I finished school and traveled 5,551 miles from Los Angeles to The Netherlands, to visit family and work with Cyell (an amazing brand which specializes in beach wear). Although I am still slightly jetlagged, I am eager to keep you all updated (whether you'd like to be or not) on the happenings of The Netherlands. 
Let's just say the transition from Los Angeles, the bustling hub that it is, to The Netherlands is quite strange but does allow one to really appreciate all those things we normally forget when we live in big cities (i.e. trees, grass, sunsets, sunrises, exercise, wind, wild animals, and the smell of cow manure). It also acts as a sort of historical reminder of all the things this world, and more specifically Europe, has gone through and how it has shaped how we see the world today. Houses here have been standing for years, and in some cases centuries, with each house possessing a unique look while still maintaining the same century old design. Each and everything you see has a certain quality which, to those interested in history, sparks an urge to learn more and become more immersed in the world around you.
Now less about the Netherlands as a whole, and more about what those of you who are not in The Netherlands should know. First of all, Dutch is a very difficult language to learn and although there are some words which correlate to the English language, it's a completely different language. And no, for those of you wondering, I did not learn Dutch before I came here, and that could easily be my fatal mistake. Second of all, when you come to The Netherlands, be prepared to bike. I have been here for about two days now, and I have already biked about 25 miles (half of that occurred in the pouring rain). Biking is actually very enjoyable and allows you to get up close and personal with the cows (if that's something you want to do) but it will give you the work out of a lifetime if you are not prepared. Well it will give you the workout of a lifetime even if you are prepared but either way it's better to be prepared.
Along with keeping you all updated on the happenings of The Netherlands, I will also keep you posted on what I'm wearing and what I'm learning about Dutch fashion and style.
Today's fashion spiel is based on the activity that I will most likely do the most this summer: biking. Yesterday, when I first took my bike out for a spin, I noticed what other girls and women wore when biking. Some wore the the traditional biking gear of fluorescent jackets and pants, while others wore what could be considered work attire, as it was obvious that they were going directly to or from the office. The most interesting combination of biking and fashion, at least for me, was the high fashion bikers, who biked in heels and high fashion items. This inspired me to try out my own (obviously less high fashioned) version of combining fashionable clothes with biking. I decided to wear grey tights from Target, my brightly colored skort from Topshop, a free people loose flowy shirt, and a light denim jacket from Forever 21. With my favorite black boots from Topshop (which ended up being the only shoes that worked for biking) I set off on the 15 mile bike ride which ended up being a 7 mile bike ride in sun and an 8 mile bike ride in rain. The only thing that I would suggest for those who want to try biking in a fashionable outfit would be to stay away from skirts and/or skorts. Let's just say that wind and skirts/skorts don't mix well.
I hope you all learned a little something about, not only biking fashion, but The Netherlands as well! I will be back next Tuesday with more about the happenings of The Netherlands and the fashion that goes along with it!
Until then!
xoxo, Paloma

p.s. to all my friends and family back in the States, I love and miss you so much and I will see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment